Skip to main content

Volunteer Requirements

Thank you so much for your interest in volunteering at Central! We can't wait for you to get started. Belmont-Redwood Shores School District has requirements in place for all volunteers who plan to work with students. Depending on the volunteer opportunity, there are different levels of clearance required. All volunteers must register with the district via their website.

How do I volunteer at Central?  In three easy steps: 

1. Register with the district as a volunteer using their online form.

2. Review Central's Volunteer Opportunities page to see which opportunities interest you, then fill out our Central Volunteer Form so the appropriate person can contact you.

3. Review the volunteer requirements below; if needed, get TB tested or fingerprinted, or provide automobile insurance documentation. (We encourage all parents to go through the fingerprinting process; your single clearance is good for all your children district-wide all the way through 8th grade, and you never know when you'll want to drive on a field trip!)


Then, you're ready to go! 

To determine which level of volunteer clearance you need, answer the three questions below:

1. Will you work with children three or more times in a month?

  • No: you do not need a TB test
  • Yes: you need to complete the  TB Questionnaire or test
    • You need a new TB clearance once every 4 years
    • This form must be completed by a medical provider
    • Submit a copy of the Questionnaire or TB Test Results to the Central Elementary School office

2. Will you ever be with children when the teacher is not present? (Note that this includes driving to field trips, tutoring students, chaperoning, etc.)

  • No: you do not need to be fingerprinted
  • Yes: you need have Live Scan clearance (aka fingerprint clearance).
    • LiveScan only needs to be completed ONCE and is valid the entire time you have students in the district. 
    • See the District's Volunteer Page to begin the process (
    • There are several local spots to complete the LiveScan. There is a charge for completing the Live Scan. (Note: If this cost presents a hardship to your family, please contact Central’s PTA President about the availability of PTA funds to reimburse/subsidize the LiveScan cost.) 


3. Will you drive children to school events? (Vehicle information is required even if it is only your own child you are driving - note that you must also complete the LiveScan requirement in addition to the vehicle requirements below in order to drive on a school field trip.)

  • No: you do not need to submit any insurance or driver's license paperwork
  • Yes: you need to provide (a) this form, (b) a copy of your current driver's license, and (c) a copy of your current car insurance
    • This needs to be updated whenever the documents expire (for insurance, this is often every 6 months)
    • The copy must document minimum coverage of $50,000 liability and $100,000/$300,000 accident.
    • Some insurance companies will allow an upgrade in coverage for just the day of the trip.
    • Submit them all to the Central Elementary School office. 


Note that these are BRSSD District Volunteer Policies, and are not determined specifically by Central. Please bring questions to the Central office. You may talk to your child’s teacher about any additional requirements they may have for classroom volunteering, or with the PTA Committee Chairs about whether anything additional is needed for PTA volunteering. Thank you again for your interest in volunteering at Central!